July 11, 2019
In our second Arborist Spotlight, ....
SHERRILLtree recently spoke with the owner of American Lawn & Tree (@americanlawntree) John Maksanty, about his love of climbing and how he got into this business.
- What drew you to this line of work?
- My first company was more grass and landscape based, we did a little bit of tree work from time to time and I absolutely loved it! I invested in great climbing gear before closing down that company to change professions and unfortunately had to sell that gear to pay bills. I honestly never thought I would get back into tree-work, but deep down inside I always wanted to.
- What makes your business unique?
- I keep a small, well trained and well educated crew that focuses on safety, efficiency, and customer satisfaction.
- What do you love most about this business?
- I love the change of pace and the variety of work we do on a daily basis. I also love the camaraderie of tree climbers all over the globe.
- How have you grown your business from idea to where it is now?
- When I started my company the idea and plan was to eventually do only tree-work. Two years later I have been able to get away from lawn maintenance and landscaping and do what I love! Working with trees!
- What did you have to overcome to be here now?
- Almost two years ago, not long after I started American Lawn & Tree, I had a freak tree climbing accident resulting in a broken back and two broken heels. I’m blessed to be here climbing trees again and doing what I love with only minor pain. My company is continually growing and has come so far since I started.
- What are your goals for this business?
- My goal is to be the go-to tree company in my area.
- What inspires you?
- Looking back and seeing how far I have come truly inspires me. It inspires me to keep pushing, working hard and always keep my head up.
- What is the best number to have on a crew?
- The best number of crew members to have is 3-4, everyone stays busy and efficient.
- What is your favorite climbing system?
- We primarily climb SRS, it’s safe and efficient for the trees we climb in our area.
- What is your go-to rope for climbing and for rigging?
- Teufelberger Xstatic for climbing, I like how it handles and feels. Samson Stable Braid in different diameters because its strong, tough, and has great knot-ability.
- Is there a type of tree you love to climb and one you hate to climb?
- I love climbing Red and White Oak trees because of their strength and size. I despise Hickory trees due to their hardness and stiffness, they’re very difficult to spike and their hinge wood is extremely strong!
- Thanks, John, for taking the time to talk to us! We love following you @americanlawntree to see your daily adventures on Instagram!
Review by(Posted on 1/22/2020)
We love reading inspiring stories like Johns in the tree service business. He has shown what America is all about by doing what he loves and growing a great business.
Review by(Posted on 1/22/2020)
It is great to read what tools other climbers use and their point of view about equipment, very helpful.
I have reviewed many YouTube videos of novice tree trimmers and reviewed very unsafe and alarming serious casualties. It is always smart to use the best equipment and have several expert tree climbers examine the trees very very carefully to avoid personal injury.